Sunday, January 24, 2010

Toleraration!

Hi everyone,

No, I'm not mumbling what passes for a curse word in some parts of the country :-)

Toleration came to my mind three times this week and I take that as an indication that I'm supposed to write about it...

One of the things I tell participants in my "Returning Balance" workshops is that they should get rid of tolerations - whether that means a committee you're on that you don't enjoy, a squeaky screen door, an acquaintance who just annoys you to pieces, a stack of papers that have been staring you in the face, magazines that are gathering dust, or any other thing you've been "tolerating" for way too long.

My tolerations this week have been about clothes and the vacuum cleaner of all things! You know how it goes: you get something out of the closet to wear and you notice there's a split seam or maybe the elastic is stretched out. But hey, we can get a couple more uses out of these things, right? WRONG! Tolerating this type of thing can cause a nagging irritability that you simply don't need in your life - or at least I don't. So...I threw out the black slacks with the seam I would have to repair and permanent wrinkles that I would have to spend too much time on to even get them presentable, much less looking decent. Then I threw out the knee socks whose elastic apparently melts in Florida heat!

No biggies, those 2. But today, my toleration was a little more costly. I have been fighting my vacuum cleaner for over a year (and it's probably less than 3 years old!). The brush may or may not work...it doesn't clean all that well when it is working...the filter is a real pain to deal with...well, you know how that kind of thing goes. So today, Mr. Vacuum Cleaner went bye-bye. Actually he's not actually gone yet, but his replacement is already on the way! Not to worry, Mr. V. C. is going to a new home and not to the trash heap, which is where I really think he should spend his remaining days, LOL.

Well, you get the picture. Tolerations can cause stress that we don't need - and that we can control. I HATE to throw things away, but I'm getting better at it. It's just not worth that little niggling irritation to keep things that are causing more grief than they are worth.

I have a sneaking suspicion I will find at least a couple more "tolerations" to bid adieu this week. As a matter of fact, that will be my mission and my commitment to you - at least 2 more tolerations are going to disappear from my life by this time next week.

How about you? What are you tolerating? Is it time to let go? You'll be amazed at how good it feels to be rid of them once and for all...

Blessings,
Linda
www.LindasWorkshops.com
Linda@LindasWorkshops.com

No comments:

Post a Comment