Saturday, August 14, 2010

Determination!


Well, whaddaya know?? It's been 3 weeks since my last post and this is one of my favorite things to do! Life has been advancing at lightning speed of late and my blog has been a victim.


The adorable little guy pictured on the blog this week is Bud, my sister's oldest cat. She lost him several weeks ago due to kidney failure. His "given" name ("given" by me when we first foster-sat him for the Humane Society) was "Charles." I told people that we called him that because he wasn't that good-looking, but he was a real prince! And a prince he was - a very special kitty who is sadly missed by his "two-legged" mom...and quite a handsome boy at that.


And so here I am again - determined to get back in the swing of things. I came across a writing "call for submissions" this week and was determined to submit something. I looked through my files for the story I knew fit the category and used my determination to get it turned in before deadline. Not sure that it will be one of the ones chosen, but I was determined not to let the opportunity to do some writing just for fun pass me by. It's been so long since I've been able to really sit and focus on my writing and I miss it. But I'm also determined to not make myself feel guilty over not writing because that takes all the joy out of it.


Hmmmmmm....are we sensing a pattern here?? I recently read a quote (it didn't say who originated it) that said, "Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try." I would amend that to say "Every accomplishment starts with the determination to do it!!" It's so easy to let ourselves off the hook when we utter, "I'll TRY," isn't it? It's a little tougher to let go of something when we have announced, "I WILL!"


As many of you know, my husband Guy has had some real health challenges the last few years. After-effects are still with us and just this week, I saw a determination in him to overcome one of his biggest hurdles to really enjoying life right now. He has trouble swallowing due to radiation treatments from tongue cancer 3 1/2 years ago. He has been working with a speech pathologist and this week they did another "swallow test." Her comment was that, "Well, you have improved, but not as much as we would like, so I'm going to send you to a doctor at Shands." (Shands is a nearby university-type hospital.) Yesterday, Guy said, "I don't care if the doctor says I am the worst case of dsyphagia (trouble swallowing) he's seen - I know I can deal with this." It was good to see that determination...


I asked the doctor who has been working on my bum shoulder for several weeks what would happen if I quit coming for the therapy. He said something along the lines of, "With your determination, I have no doubt you would keep up with your exercises and it probably wouldn't get any worse." DETERMINATION.


What are you determined to do? Forgive someone? Take up a new hobby? Be kinder to someone? Lose weight? Handle the stress of your job better? Quit worrying over things you can't control? Get your finances in order? Work on a relationship? The list could go on and on, but you get the picture. Unless you are determined, it probably won't happen!


So go and do what you have determined to do...!

Blessings,

Linda


Linda@LindasWorkshops.com

No comments:

Post a Comment