Friday, November 12, 2010

Simplicity - again!


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
As I come across words I want to share with you, I jot them down on a "master list" of sorts, so I don't forget them. I have quite a long list! So it may seem odd that I am re-visiting a word we discussed almost 7 months ago.

The word "simplicity," though, has popped up in conversation at least 3 times this past week. Each time, I thought, "Oh, I need to talk about that on my blog." But then I would remind myself that I already did :-).
So here we go - we are going to look at it again because, I don't know about you, but I never seem to "arrive" at simplicity. It seems simplicity is about as hard to find as the butterfly in the picture.
As I was thinking about the areas of my life, I realized that I do fairly well simplifying some areas and not so good in others. Overall, I'd say I'm about 75% there this very moment, so there's still lots of room for improvement.
But remember, I always remind you to be aware... I have become very aware of simplifying my work life. I have actually turned down jobs recently that would make my life a madhouse for a period of time (either topics I would need to develop from scratch or dates that would put me in crunch mode), although they would "simplify" my finances by adding to the coffers. I've even turned down work simply because the topic is not one I'm passionate about. I am not effective unless I'm passionate about my topic, so...okay -work life simplified? Check.
As for personal growth, NO WAY :-). I am in the middle of a learning process for myself that won't be over for years, if ever! It will lighten up, I think, and for that I will be grateful. But since I love to learn and grow, this is an area I "allow" to be a little less simplified than I would prefer.
Let's think in terms of relationships...hmmmmmm. Well, I think I have those pretty simplified as well. I could do better at staying in touch with some people I value in my life, but I don't let others "guilt" me into being involved in things that don't bring me joy or let them make me feel bad about what I just don't have time for right now - or have any control over. My husband and I understand each other very well - yep, all the quirks and sometimes-annoying habits we both have. I'm able to speak to my sister nearly every week. Email is my friend in keeping in touch with several friends and family members across the country. I even occasionally remember to pick up the phone and call some of them! So, relationships simplified? Check (pretty much, ha ha).
The next category I'll call "household" - so, NO, that's an area I don't have simplified. Because of my work and other projects I am so deeply involved in, that's an area that slides. I was discussing it with a participant in one of my classes, and we agreed - life is too short to get hung up on household chores. However, there is a BIG opportunity for me to simplify what I live with; things like knick knacks, more clothes (some VERY old!) than I could ever wear, and just plain clutter. That's something I've decided to approach in baby steps. Cleaned out a cluttered drawer? Hurray for me! One notch closer to simplicity. Started a special file folder for some important papers that may have gotten stuck somewhere? Gold star!
I guess what I'm saying is, don't let someone SPOIL your efforts to gain simplicity by telling you that you're not doing it right. Whatever works for you IS RIGHT!!!
And your challenge for the week is to 1) recognize an area you are already doing well with and 2) become AWARE if there is another area in which you could do better - then YOU decide what you'd like to do about it!
Have a wonderful weekend and a blessed Thanksgiving!
Linda
Linda@LindasWorkshops.com

No comments:

Post a Comment