Today's picture is brought to you by a good friend who kindly helped me celebrate my graduation by hosting a dinner for me. Yes, that is a "cupcake tower" and yes, those cupcakes were as good as they look (and really cute, too, in UF's orange and blue colors!). Sandy is the epitome of a great hostess - she has such a willingness to serve others and seems to thoroughly enjoy creating an "experience" for everyone - and as you can see, she is quite successful!
As I thought about today's word, I thought about how many different ways there are to serve - and how all of us can find our "serving" niche if we look around us. Perhaps you heard about the server at a Steak 'n' Shake this week who received a $446 tip. One of her regular customers witnessed other customers giving her a hard time, so the regular customer decided to make her day by leaving a huge (make that enormous!) tip. So...who was doing the real "serving" here? I think the customer actually served in a more memorable and meaningful way - not because of the amount she left, but because of the thought behind it. The server made the statement to an interviewer that "I didn't think I was worth $400, but apparently she does." WOW.
Just think how each of US can serve others through our words and deeds - and it doesn't have to cost a cent. Yet we can make them feel so much better about their own worth. The next time you eat out - or go to a retail store - or a bank - or just about anywhere where someone is serving YOU, take notice of their name badge, look them in the eye, use their name, and comment on the good service (or pleasant smile or...). You will see a visible difference in the way they respond to you after that brief interaction.
Please don't take this to mean we are to be manipulative to get people to respond differently. That's not my intent at all. My intent is to help YOU see how you can serve in lots of different ways.
So...how can you serve this week?
- Look at a "server" as a human being?
- Pick up someone's mail while they're out of town?
- Take someone the extra serving of lasagna you prepared?
- Stop and wait while someone crosses in front of you?
- Let someone go ahead of you in the grocery line?
- Pick up something that has fallen onto the floor at the department store?
- Drop someone an email to let them know you are thinking of them?
- Pick up that old-fashioned phone and actually CALL them? ;-)
- Do a family member's chore for them today?
- Offer to help a co-worker finish up a project?
- Blow the leaves off of your neighbor's front porch?
- Bring the newspaper from their driveway to their front door?